Sunday, March 24, 2013

Food!


Soul Food

This documentary was well put together with a mix of humor, seriousness, culture and history. The film definitely captures the central role food plays in our lives. Food is necessary, fun, delightful, cultural, historical and biologically intriguing. For these reasons, food holds a lot of power directly and indirectly. Since I lived in the Bible Belt for the majority of my life, I can vouch that there is a KFC on just about every block. Soul food is huge in Memphis especially fried chicken and BBQ. Every May there is a HUGE festival dedicated to southern food. It’s literally rows upon rows or soul food. However, I don’t think soul food is that bad. I think it’s more of the transition that soul food has gone through like the adding of more more salt, grease, chemicals, preservatives and fast food style that has brought on obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease. I do commend the schools though that preach fresh foods and gardens.  

Fast Food Nation

Fast food is one of the first things that comes to mind when one says America. It’s too convenient because they’re everywhere. They’re fast and cheap. People have to work more so there really isn’t time to spend cooking and shopping for food. There’s also this mentality to eat on the go when we’re not sitting watching TV. Overall, the industry has certainly shaped popular culture and agriculture as well as the health of Americans. I like Schlosser’s point in that he says, “Unlike other commodities, however, fast food isn’t viewed, read, played, or worn. It enters the body and becomes part of the consumer.” I always knew that advertisements were being directed more at kids, and I knew that textbooks had secret marketing strategies. But, I didn’t know that it was that extensive. I should have known that it would be tax deductable for these companies as well.

I remember my school would put on a magazine drive to help raise money for the school. The goal was to raise the most you could so you could prizes and participate in the festival – which meant skipping class. My mom hated because she said that it makes the parents feel so guilty if they don’t want to contribute. Plus, the kids are selling magazines which are just harbors of more advertisements. 

1 comment:

  1. You reminded me of Girl Scout cookies, which I think are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete