Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Quiet Crisis

While I do agree that some progress has been made since this was written, I have to agree that the U.S. is beginning to lag behind in science and math education. But with everything that the government could do to relieve the U.S. of this "quiet crisis" such as donate money or start programs, I think that a huge part of this effort lies heavily on the shoulders of America's public school teachers. Elementary teachers spend more time with children than anyone (other than their parents) and have a tremendous effect on the attitudes of generations of children. I could not relate more to Meleena's memory of hearing "what am I ever going to use this for in real life?" in regards to math and science classes. And when I think of it, not one of my teachers ever backed up their end. It seemed like they were just there to teach, simply because math and science have always been taught in public school, and not because math and science are currently the most critical classes in regards to America's future. Of course, it is difficult to make children understand the concept that if they work hard at math and science, they could have an enormous impact on our standing in global society.

I would also like to point out that, though increasing numbers of foreign (mostly Asian) entrepreneurs are still coming to America to start their companies. I think that until the majority of Americans start going oversees on entrepreneurial ventures, the power shift won't happen. I think we still have time to turn this around, but I do agree that something needs to be done.

Possibly, Americans are getting too comfortable "at the top", but what other countries think of as "leisurely activities" we think of as inherently American pastimes. The idea of America (currently) is built around leisure, rather than work. I don't think America has an intelligence problem, I think we have a motivational problem. I think that as long as we are aware of our economic competitors, we will take the actions necessary to stay at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment