Tuesday, April 9, 2013

waste and energy

Wasted: How America Is Losing Up to 40 Percent of Its Food from Farm to Fork to Landfill
This paper did a great job identifying the "inefficiencies in the U.S. food system from the farm to the fork to the landfill." By doing this, it is apparent that this is a problem that must be address at every level of the food supply chain in order to gain lasting results. Although the paper did not go into much detail and research, it raised some viable and reasonable solutions that could help the problem.

"Doing so will ultimately require a suite of coordinated solutions, including changes in supply-chain operation, enhanced market incentives, increased public awareness and adjustments in consumer behavior."


Americans Waste $130 Billion a Year on Energy
"There’s a vast lack of knowledge, even in business, about how and where energy is consumed."

I think this is the biggest problem. As a country, we are disconnected and uninformed about how things actually work. From expiration dates on food to energy consummation, most people simply do not know what is happening on the base level.

As the article stated, the best thing we could do is create more readily available information and resources for our citizens. At the end of the day, it is a personal lifestyle choice. I believe if we inform citizens from a younger age they will have a better view of how our actions impact our world and earth.

Top 10 Energy Pigs in the Plug
Basically what I got from this article is that we love using energy and sometimes we aren't even aware that we are doing so. Almost every aspect of life as we know it revolves around using energy and to us it is merely plugging in a charger or device into an outlet.

Growing up, my father always unplugged the microwave and televisions between usage and taught my sisters and I to do it also. It is a habit for me now. My sister and I unplug the microwave after each use and use a surge protector for everything in the living room which is turned off/unplugged when it's not in use. While this is normal to me, I understand it isn't convenient for our fast pace lives, but I do think we could all be more mindful about our actions and roles on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment