Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The West and the Rest

I'm glad that the author posted the little foreword about how most of his predictions had already come to fruition because when I was reading it, I couldn't help but think about current events.

It's interesting. Whenever I think about "the West," I automatically think of the United States - only the United States. I don't bother to think of Canada or any of the western European countries. And I think that my mind goes directly to America because I feel like everything is blamed on the US. We were once considered the world superpower, and we still are for some (primarily Third World) countries, so sometimes I feel like we are at fault with the strife and starvation that other countries face. However, we are in part responsible, at least for not putting an end to it. (Although that in and of itself is a controversial subject.) And then we have the problem of not finishing what we start.

People question the motivations of well-off countries helping poorer countries. Does this aid come from your "white man's burden," the mere goodness of your heart, or are you using me to help yourself with some political end? Then comes the question of what type of aid it will be: monetary, survival, infrastructure, or a complete government overhaul? Do we get to choose our type of government or will you force us to adopt democracy?

I appreciate that the author included that bit of how democracy doesn't necessarily mesh with all cultures, about how the only way to fix government is just to give it "good government." I do appreciate my rights to freedom and a voice (albeit a small one) in my country, but democracy isn't always the answer. It's best to just help struggling countries implement a system that works best in its own cultural circumstances.

An all-too-familiar topic covered in this chapter is immigration. Living in Texas, it's a subject you can never shake off. I particularly liked this segment: "Superior Western military technology will be useless against these invading armies because they will arrive as poor and defenceless individuals and families, moving without commanders or orders, and seeping slowly through porous borders" (56-57). He could never have a more insightful and correct prediction. Immigration is a huge problem in our country, and it's one that we seemingly cannot find an appropriate solution to. However, if we, the Western world, pick ourselves up and focus on making the world a better place for everyone, we could improve the governments of Third World countries so that their people don't have to worry about moving somewhere better.

The population boom is also a big deal in today's news. I read a book a couple years ago (I can't remember the title) which really opened my eyes to the problem. Basically, the premise of the book was that "survival of the fittest" doesn't really apply anymore. Ever since the hunter/gatherer lifestyle went out of style, and especially since modern medicine took hold, we don't have to rely nearly as much on our skills or genetics to survive this thing called life, so people don't die, according to Darwin, as much as they should. We're trying to solve the problem with birth control, but it will only work if all countries, rich and poor, have the resources.

I thought it was a little funny that the author talked about how East Asian nations have been modernizing and becoming effective global players, and how China has (had*) the possibility of becoming one as well. Well, it's no news that these days that China is possibly America's biggest competitor in being the biggest world superpower.

So far, I'm really enjoying this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment