Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The rest of the west

I wanted to comment on a sentence or two I found interesting in "the rest of the west."

Near the end, the author predicts: "...the West will increasingly absorb good minds from other cultures" and that that will bring about the good in the media and it can become a microcosm of the new world.

Media industries are now being more proactive in trying to bring in journalists of all races and gender. Two years ago, I applied for and did not receive an intership from the Austin American-Statesman. I found it interesting when a family friend of ours, who still works there, disclosed there were certain slots for the internship:

2 males, 2 females. One must be an African-American and one must be an Asian-American. This really isn't too surprising, and I do applaud the efforts to construct a more diverse workplace, which can lead to more diverse and more balanced coverage. But I wonder, is there a difference between making sure somebody or some group gets an opportunity and making sure somebody or some group doesn't?

- Trey Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment